This module will build on previous topics by presenting an introduction to resonance in series and parallel circuits. The module also covers bandwidth, tuning circuits, and the decibel. The Q of a series circuit is also presented using practical and theoretical examples of problem solving for resonance.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Define resonance.
- Explain the Q factor of an AC circuit.
- Discus bandwidth of resonant circuits.
- Describe the basic operation of a tank circuit.
- Name the three resonant conditions of a parallel RLC circuit.
- Understand the purpose of damping resistors.
- List the three basic functions performed by a tuning circuit.
- Explain why the decibel is used when discussing cutoff frequencies in resonant circuits.