This module is designed to provide the student with a clear understanding of the purpose and application of PLC sequencers, both through the theory of operation and through the actual demonstration using lab simulation software. The module will familiarize the learner with masking techniques and the various types of sequencers available including SQO. SQL and SQ1 instructions. In addition, sequencers charts are presented with an emphasis on maintenance and recording of sequencer chart information.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Explain the operation of a mechanical drum controller.
- Describe the basic function of an advanced PLC sequencer.
- Explain how time-driven sequencers operate.
- Describe the operation of event-driven sequencers.
- Derive a sequencer chart.
- Define the term matrix.
- Explain the purpose of masking.
- List three types of sequencers used in advanced PLCs.
- Write a ladder logic program using SQO. SQL and SQ1.