This module provides students with a broad overview of PLC counters and their application in control systems. Studio 5000/RSLogix 5000 counting instructions such as CTU and CTD are presented in detail and the theory is reinforced through lab projects using lab simulation software. In addition, students will learn practical programming techniques for counters including cascading counters and combining counting and timing circuits.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Name two types of mechanical counters.
- Define the two basic types of PLC counters.
- Write a ladder logic program using CTU, CTD, and RES.
- Explain the terms underflow and overflow.
- Describe the function of an event-driven circuit.
- Design an up/down counter.
- Define cascading counters.
- Explain the advantages of combining timers and counters.