This module is intended to provide the student with an introduction to data communication using PLC systems and peripherals. The fundamentals of LANs and data highways are discussed using Windows platform and Rockwell hardware and programming software such as RSLinx. In addition, an introduction to ethernet and network switching is also presented as well as detailed descriptions of topology and the operation of token passing in a data highway. The module also provides an overview of transmission media, response time and the basic principles of proprietary networks including the seven MAP layers.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Define the term data communication.
- Explain the purpose of a LAN
- Describe the term protocol and its application to PLCs.
- Differentiate between OLE and DDE.
- Name two types of topology.
- List four factors affecting transmission media.
- Define the term response time.
- Describe the basic principles of proprietary networks.
- Name the seven MAP layers.
- List three advantages of using Ethernet.
- Explain the purpose of network switching.
- Name three types of RSLinx diagnostic resources.