This module is designed to provide the student with a thorough understanding of the various number systems used by PLCs and their application in industrial control. The module covers binary numbers and codes including BCD, Octal, and hexadecimal. In addition, the module also demonstrates through lab simulation how number systems are manipulated by the PLC's processor. Topics also covered in the module include negative binary numbers, parity bit, Gray code, and ASCII.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Explain the operation of the binary number system.
- Express a negative number in binary form.
- Differentiate between least-significant bit and most-significant bit.
- Add and subtract binary numbers.
- Multiply and divide binary numbers.
- Convert binary numbers to decimal, and decimal numbers to binary.
- Count using the octal number system.
- Convert octal numbers to binary, and binary numbers to octal.
- Explain the hexadecimal number system.
- Write a program using number system conversion.
- Convert hexadecimal numbers to binary, and binary numbers to hex.
- Differentiate between natural binary and Binary Coded Decimal (BCD).
- Describe the purpose of parity bit, Gray code, and ASCII code.